I believe that photography is an art form that should be used to tell stories and show things from interesting perspectives. As I walk down a street that I have walked dozens of times, I try to see things differently than the times I saw it before. This is also something I have come to realize that can be used in life. When things become monotonous or boring, a change in focus or angle can be refreshing.
I recently started measuring how far I actually walk when looking for new material to shoot. Some of the distances are nothing to brag about but when I consider how long I am out, the distance feels longer. For instance, today I went out for a stroll walking down a road I have never walked before. That road led to another and so on until I found myself a mile from my home. Now a mile doesn't seem that far; but that was a straight line from apartment to furthest location. I then measured each step I took down each road on runningmap.com and the total distance came to 2.8 miles.
After being out for more than two hours and the weather starting to get colder, I wondered why I was doing this to myself. The question is still not entirely answered, but I can only speculate that I will be walking even farther to get more images that both tell a story and show others how I see things. It is a passion that pushes me farther and farther to express creativity. Passion can often override comfort, and the results more than often, are worth it.
Yeah, lately you've been waiting 'til the sun has gone down to even go out and then you are gone for at least an hour. I wouldn't do that, but you really like photography so it's cool.
ReplyDelete